Thursday, April 16, 2009

A fellow Ravelry sweetheart gratiously sent me the pattern to her darling little egg cosy's...and her permission to share the pattern on Ravelry for these cuties!



Well, after having spent the morning trying to upload a PDF file I have run into a dead-end (for now anyway)...so here, below, is the copy/pasted version of the pattern I told Corinne I'd post for her. I'll link this to Ravelry (she's funkynitter on Rav) and keep trying for the PDF version soon.


In the meantime, check out her Eggstremely Cosy Set on Ravelry and see text below for pattern:



Crochet Chicken Egg Cosy

Colour choices are total your choice but as an example I made the outside in a pastel colour and
the inside and body parts in a contrasting dark colour. Have fun adding any design of your choice
to the completed cosy.
Note: All parts are made in the round (spiral) without joining rows
Tools: 2.5 Crochet hook
Yarn: Any that works with hook size
Skills needed: Single crochet (sc), Double ‘magic’ ring
Comb (made up of three sections A, B, C)
Large (Make one) [A]
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 5 sc ( 5 sts)
Round 2 : sc twice in each sc (10 sts)
Round 3 - 5 : sc 10 sts (10 sts)
Round 6 : sc8, sc2tog ( 9 sts)
Round 7 : sc7, sc2tog ( 8 sts)
Round 8 : sc6, sc2tog ( 7 sts)
Round 9 : sc5, sc2tog ( 6 sts)
Break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off, tuck ends inside and flatten
Small (Make two) [B & C]
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 4 sc ( 4 sts)
Round 2 : sc twice in each sc ( 8 sts)
Round 3 - 4 : sc 8 sts ( 8 sts)
Round 5 : sc6, sc2tog ( 7 sts)
Round 6 : sc5, sc2tog ( 6 sts)
Page: 2 of 4
[B] - Break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off, tuck ends inside and flatten
[C] - Leave yarn attached and continue to make-up
To make-up:
Step 1: sc3 across one side of [C] (where yarn is still attached)
Step 2: Join [A] by sc3 across one side of [A]
Step 3: Join [B] by sc3 across one side of [B] and then sc3 on other side of [B]
Step 4: sc3 across other side of [A]
Step 5: sc3 across other side of [C]
Step 6: slip st along length to close and break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off
Beak
Top (Make one)
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 4 sc ( 4 sts)
Round 2 : sc twice in each sc ( 8 sts)
Round 3 : sc1 , sc2 in next st ( 12 sts)
Round 4 : sc12 ( 12 sts)
Fold in half and slip st along length to close, break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off
Bottom (Make one)
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 4 sc ( 4 sts)
Round 2 : sc twice in each sc ( 8 sts)
Round 3 : sc8 ( 8 sts)
Fold in half and slip st along length to close, break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off
Legs
Leg (Make two) Starting at toes end of leg
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 6 sc ( 6 sts)
Round 2 - 15: sc6 ( 6 sts)
(or until desired length) break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off
Toes (Make four)
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 6 sc ( 6 sts)
Round 2 - 3 : sc6 ( 6 sts)
Break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off
To make-up:
Sew 2 toes on each side of legs at about three rows up from end of leg so when you pinch the
toes and the end of leg together they are about the same length. If desired you can catch the two
toes so they stay pointing down.
Page: 3 of 4
Body (made up of two sections)
Outside (Make one)
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 4 sc ( 4 sts)
Round 2 : sc twice in each sc ( 8 sts)
Round 3 : sc all sts ( 8 sts)
Round 4 : (sc1, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 12 sts)
Round 5 : sc all sts ( 12 sts)
Round 6 : (sc2, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 16 sts)
Round 7 : sc all sts ( 16 sts)
Round 8 : (sc3, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 20 sts)
Round 9 : sc all sts ( 20 sts)
Round 10 : (sc4, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 24 sts)
Round 11 : sc all sts ( 24 sts)
Round 12 : (sc5, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 28 sts)
Round 13 : sc all sts ( 28 sts)
Round 14 : (sc6, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 32 sts)
Round 15 : sc all sts ( 32 sts)
Round 16 : (sc7, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 36 sts)
Round 17 : sc all sts ( 36 sts)
Round 18 : (sc8, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 40 sts)
Round 19 : sc all sts ( 40 sts)
Round 20 : (sc9, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 44 sts)
Round 21 : sc all sts ( 44 sts)
Round 22 : (sc10, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 48 sts)
Round 23 : sc all sts ( 48 sts)
Round 24 : (sc11, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 52 sts)
Round 25-34: sc all sts ( 52 sts)
Leave yarn attached
Inside (Make one)
Round 1 : Make a double ring with 4 sc ( 4 sts)
Round 2 : sc twice in each sc ( 8 sts)
Round 3 : (sc1, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 12 sts)
Round 4 : (sc2, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 16 sts)
Round 5 : (sc3, sc2 in next sc) 4 times ( 20 sts)
Round 6 : (sc3, sc2 in next sc) 5 times ( 25 sts)
Round 7 : (sc4, sc2 in next sc) 5 times ( 30 sts)
Round 8 : sc all sts ( 30 sts)
Round 9 : (sc4, sc2 in next sc) 6 times ( 36 sts)
Round 10 : sc all sts ( 36 sts)
Round 11 : (sc5, sc2 in next sc) 6 times ( 42 sts)
Round 12-18: sc all sts ( 42 sts)
Round 19 : (sc6, sc2 in next sc) 6 times ( 48 sts)
Round 20-24: sc all sts ( 48 sts)
Page: 4 of 4
Break yarn and slip stitch to fasten off. Turn inside out.
NOTE:
- Number of increase rounds can be adjusted to suit size of egg by trying fitting while in progress.
- Round 19 is to allow for cosy to fit over lip of egg cup, this may need to be moved up or down
depending on egg cup
- Outside is 4 sc wider than inside to ensure that it does not cause the inside to pucker up when
they are joined together

To make-up:
Note: While sewing on parts they can be secured by a couple of knots as they will be hidden
between body parts
Sew Comb on to top of Outside of body, front to back, bending over point
Sew on top beak curving down, approx 6 rows down from comb
Sew on bottom beak curving up close to top beak
Sew two beads on for eyes
Sew legs on about one round above bottom of body making sure the toes are level
Put a little stuffing inside point of head to prevent it squashing flat
Place Inside body in the outside of body and adjust stuffing so the edges can meet when a little
pressure is applied to the inside part.
Crochet edge of outside to the edge of inside, note that the outside has 4 more sc than the inside
so you need to sc2 from outside to 1sc on the inside, 4 times evenly around the edge.
Add any embroidery once the egg cosy has been made up being careful that you do not stitch
through both layers of the body. Secure and hide the ends of the yarn by tying a knot at the end
of the yarn and pulling it through a gap in the crochet of the top layer so it is hidden between the
outside and inside layers.

20 comments:

I used to be Gigi Minor - but now I'm Annie Kight said...

Hi!
These are really cute!
Sorry I didn't reply to your question until now. The little pincushion pattern is available through Quilt Fabric Delights.
Please follow this link for details : ) Thanks so much!

http://www.quiltfabricdelights.com.au/

Amybel said...

Those are too funny. Makes me want to learn crochet! And I love how colorful your granny square blanket is and how nicely it came out. Nice job!

Rhian said...

Oh I wish I could crochet - these are so fabulous!

Anonymous said...

How cute and festive!

Jane said...

These are lovely. Can I check; are the instructions in US terminology or English? I've made the mistake of not checking in the past and ended up with a horrid result, Jane

Astri said...

These are so cute and inspiring! So much that I made one. :-) may I link to your post on my blog? You have a great talent and a great eye for color.

Gisèle said...

They are so beautiful and colourful ! Thank you vert much for the pattern ? Do you think I can translate it in French for my readers ? Of course I would link ut to tour blog.
Thanks again

moogly said...

Love these! I'm going to include a link to these on my easter pattern roundup for tomorrow - let me know if you'd rather I didn't include your link! www.mooglyblog.com

Jana Neves Garcia said...

I love this chiken.
Come to my blog.
jana-nevesgarcia.blogspot.com

Adorei suas idéias.
Abraço,

Unknown said...

These are AWESOME!
I wasn't even looking for chickens!!!
I am obsessed with chickens and crocheting, and although I don't normally use a pattern I just might need to make these.
ThankYou x

Sanderella said...

Hi! I just can't believe how adorable this pattern is!! People love chickens and love to decorate their kitchens with them. I am sure your pattern will be a bit hit. I posted it on my FB page, so expect some visitors....
www.facebook.com/pages/Sanderellas/130458323764353

Beautiful work!! Sandy

häkelmonster said...

Just like Lianne I definitely did not look out for chickens, and there they were ... They are fabulous! Thank you for posting the pattern.

Bibi's Homemade Happiness said...

I am crocet the chickens..and i like your embroidery's..can you please tell me where i can find them, or do you have the sewing embroidery patterns for me? i will be verry glad! lots of love from holland, and thanks for the chicken_pattern

Jana + anděl = Janděl said...

Supeeeeer!!!!!! Jana:)

Gelia said...

Thank you so much!!! These are the coolest chick cozies I've seen! The author of pattern is very talented, thank you for sharing her pattern. As that's how I found it, in your blog:)

I like these Funky Cozies so much that they got a first place in my Easter Crochet Top Ten: http://www.free-homemade-gift-ideas.com/easter-crochet.html

I'm still making my first chick, but these are fabulous! All the best wishes, Savvy Snail!!!

Ouch Potato said...

Hi there, Corinne :)

I've managed to make a pdf form of your Eggstremely Cosy Pattern Set, and wondered how I can send it to you, so that you can make it available to everyone on Ravelry?

Can I email it to you, or shall I put it on my Ravelry page, with a link to your page, or your blog site? :)

Bea said...

Hello Corinne Your chickens are absolutely awesome! The use of color is awesome too. Would you
revile the make of your wool the shades are really lovely.
Bea.

Bea said...

ups .sorry ..spelling mistake I meant to write reveal of course. B

Unknown said...

Do I start with a magic ring?

Ladywolf4650 said...

Is this pattern made with thread #10 or is it a finger weight yarn or something else altogether?